Tim Bacon has been designing, writing and delivering coaching education materials for National Sport Governing Bodies since 1987. Most notably he wrote the Sport Psychology chapter of the NCCP Level 3 Theory Manual for the Coaching Association of Canada, but has also developed coaching materials for other organizations including Squash Canada, Tennis Canada and Racquetball Canada.
Currently he is a member of the USSRA Coaching Committee and an ASEP Coaching Principles Instructor. He also teaches in the Smith College Graduate Program in Coaching, one of only a handful of NCASE Level 4 Approved Coaching Programs in the U.S.A.
A graduate of the Master’s in Coaching Program at the University of Western Ontario, Tim is the only college coach in the U.S.A. with full-time Head Coach responsibilities and a simultaneous Faculty appointment teaching the equivalent of three, four-credit academic courses. In the current 2012-13 academic year he is teaching:
- ESS 220 Psychology of Sport (undergraduate)
- ESS 110 Introduction to Sports Coaching (undergraduate)
- ESS 507 Critical Thinking & Coaching Research (graduate)
- ESS 520 Sport Leadership (graduate)
Other Smith College courses taught in the past include:
- ESS 100 Introduction to Exercise & Sport Studies (undergraduate)
- ESS 130 Stress Management (undergraduate)
- ESS 505-506 (Practicum Supervisor; graduate)
Coaching/Consulting Certification’s Include:
- NSCA Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist
- Member, Canadian Mental Training Registry (equivalent to AASP Certified Consultant)
- Squash Canada Level 4 Coach (targets national team athletes)
- Tennis Canada Level 3 Technical Coach (targets U18 jr. national players)
- Racquetball Canada Level 1 Instructor
- U.S. Squash Level 3 Certification (highest level)
- World Professional Squash Association Pro 1 Certification (hardball squash – highest level)
Examples of Tim’s coaching education work include:
- Sport Psychology section of the Racquetball Canada Level 3 Coaching manual.
- Contributer to the Sport Psychology chapters of the NCCP (French) Level 1 & 2 Theory Manuals.
- Sport Psychology chapter of the NCCP (French) Level 3 Theory Manual.
- Sport Psychology material in Tennis Canada’s Coach 2 Manual.
- Sport Psychology chapter of Squash Canada’s Level 3 Coaching Manual.
- Developed the Sport Psychology competencies for the USSRA Coaching Program.
- Course Conductor for Sport Quebec delivering more than 50 Level 1, 2 and 3 Theory courses in both English and French between 1992 and 2000.
- Analysed and compared NCCP Level 1-3 French and English Theory learning objectives for the Coaching Association of Canada as a first step in revising their coaching program.
- As a Master Course Conductor for the NCCP, trained course conductors to deliver Theory and Integrated Courses.
- Helped develop and deliver content at the Princeton Squash Coaches Academy.
- Presenter/evaluator for the NCCP Level 4 Sport Psychology Tasks.
- Presenter/Evaluator for Squash Canada’s Level 4 Performance Analysis task.
- Co-Presenter on Squash Canada’s Level 4 Advanced Tactics task.
- Co-Organized and presented at the Squash Coaching Conference at the 1998 Jr, Men’s World Squash Championships.
- Facilitated the 2002 USSRA Coaching Conference and the 2006 CSA Coaching Conference.
He has also spoken at National Coaching Conferences in Canada and overseas, including the U.S.A., Barbados, Trinidad, Egypt and Iran; and made presentations for the World Professional Squash Association, the College Squash Association, the USSRA, Squash Canada and the World Squash Federation.
Tim Bacon is available for contract work in developing coaching materials, and offers individualized coach training and mentoring. He can be contacted at 1-413-330-8222 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.