On November 4th, I gave a two-hour workshop to 22 local coaches and graduate students at Smith College in Northampton, MA- the outline is here:
I. Overview of the Core Performance (CP) Training System
- Training Philosophy – rehab & strength specialist designed “functional” programs: “Train Movements not Muscles”
- “The medium is the message” – CP integrated system resources: books, video, web, social media, home fitness (GoFIT)
- Advantages of CP (and TRX): time, $, professionalism (improved coach knowledge, enhanced communication & athlete autonomy)
- The CP workout design – five basic parts.
II. Key Background Concepts/Terms a Coach Should Know
- Periodization – annual plan & phases: general, specific, competition, transition (and related training exercises)
- Energy systems and muscle fiber types
- Principles of Training
III. Practicum 1 – Prehabilitation & Movement Prep
- Exercises from CP L1, L2, L3
IV Core Performance Sport-Specific “Individualized” Programs
- CP vs. “traditional” (e.g., Bompa, 2010) periodization
V. Practicum 2 – CP Workout via iPhone/iPad/Laptop
- In pairs (athlete/coach) or trios (athlete/coach/observer) complete the workout
VI. TRX – Fitness Anywhere!
- Training philosophy and marketing highly similar to Core Performance
- Brief description of TRX apparatus and installation
VII. Practicum 3 – TRX
- TRX alternatives to traditional exercises
- TRX progressions and adaptations
VIII. Practical Tips
- Challenge stability – don’t pile on the weight!
- Implementation for every budget: free, cheap, reasonable
- Try it yourself for your own fitness
- Become independent and self-sufficient with CP & TRX
- Fitness Builder iPhone app (and web version) highly recommended
IX. Questions & Discussion
Baechle, T.R. & Earle, R.W. (Eds.) (2000). Essentials of strength & conditioning. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
Bompa, T. (1999). Periodization: Theory & methodology of training. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Verstegen, M., & williams, P. (2004). Core performance. Rodale. (http://www.coreperformance.com/)